I've just hosted my website, how does online advertising work?
Online advertising involves the delivery of promotional marketing messages to consumers. It includes social media channels, search engines, emails and mobile advertising.
Still, website owners might find the complex ecosystem of social media advertising difficult to navigate. For every success story - and there are plenty - there are hundreds, if not thousands, of small business frustrated by their attempts to attract customers through online advertising. Before you put effort into creating online advertising, it is important to understand:
- What your business needs are
- Why you want to use online advertising to broadcast your messages
- Who your audience is (age, income, interests)
Social advertising, especially via Facebook, has grown enormously in popularity over the last few years. These ads combine text and display elements and are targeted based on user preferences, demographics, and location. Depending on your business type, Facebook is a valid option to consider.
When setting up your ad on Facebook, it is important that you:
- Know your objective, as this will determine the type of Facebook ad, i.e. do you want the Facebook users to buy something on your site or do you want Likes on your Facebook page?
- Know your audience, so that you can target specific groups of people
- Know your budget. Pricing will differ according to the competition in your target group.
Once set up, Facebook will enable you to track the progress of the ad on a dashboard. This is done by measuring the amount of visitors to your site and how long they stay, and by analysing why people leave your site or don’t visit it at all. Online advertising makes it possible for you to reshape your website strategies to improve your online presence and subsequently, your business as a whole.